Please consider joining Theater J’s dedicated team of volunteer ushers!
Our ushers arrive one hour before the show to help greet patrons, take tickets, pass out programs, sell concessions, and create a pleasant theater going experience for our audiences, as well getting to see the performance.
If you are interested in becoming an usher, please contact Director of Patron Services, Brian Andrade at or 202.777.3268.
Theater J internships offer a unique opportunity for individuals to gain hands-on experience in the country’s largest and most prominent Jewish theater. Interns gain practical knowledge of the daily activities of the theater and receive expert training and mentorship from Theater J staff.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to the appropriate contacts listed below under the description for the desired internship area of focus. Theater J accepts applications on an ongoing basis from college-aged applicants and above.
The Theater J Marketing/Development Internship is a project oriented program allowing individuals to receive an in-depth view of the administrative and management side of a professional theater.
- Support theater staff with the day to day administrative activities of a professional theater in the areas of marketing, development, patron services, and general management.
- Assist in the creation and disbursement of marketing and publicity materials.
- Assist with developing content for Theater J’s social media presence.
- Support theater staff with implementation of new strategies and initiatives for both fundraising and marketing.
- Provide support around research and expansion of new marketing initiatives.
- Assist with the creation and disbursement of fundraising documents such as our annual appeals, donor reports, proposals, letters of inquiry, etc.
- Assist with prospective donor research and cultivation, as well as stewardship for our current donors.
- Assist with research into foundations and grant programs.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Support staff in the execution of special events at Theater J including opening nights, donor cultivation events, and the annual benefit.
- Attend rehearsals and performances of Theater J productions.
- A working knowledge of theater making and practices.
- Exceptional written communications skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Enjoy working in a fast paced environment.
- Facility with Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- A sense of humor is required.
- Knowledge of database management, graphic design, marketing, and/or communications a plus.
- The ideal candidate is interested in a career in theater administration.
This is a volunteer internship position. Housing is not provided. Accepted interns will work 16-20 hours per week. Current students and young professionals are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Theater J Managing Director, Rebecca Ende Lichtenberg.
Theater J does not accept unsolicited scripts. Most of the new plays we consider for production have come out of meaningful relationships we have developed with emerging and established playwrights. Instead of reading unsolicited scripts, we devote our resources to attending readings and productions, participating in the New Play Exchange via NNPN, and reading plays that are recommended by our close colleagues and the artists who we work with.
We will continue to accept agent-submitted scripts. Please email those to LitOffice@TheaterJ.org.
Theater J auditions each year for the upcoming season. During two days of Equity Principal Auditions, there are opportunities for both AEA and non-AEA members to audition on a first come, first served basis. Actors Equity Members will be given priority in scheduling with Equity Membership Candidates and then non-union actors being seen as time allows. Please note that Theater J casts DC local hires only.
If you are unable to attend audition, please submit your picture and resume to Theater J’s Casting Director, Jenna Duncan: firstname.lastname@example.org
All received photos and resumes are reviewed, and actors are contacted individually to schedule auditions based on their experience and training.
Check back for updated dates and opportunities.